FLAX’s The Dialectic of the Stars Launches in February
FLAX’s The Dialectic of the Stars, a visual arts and performance festival curated by Fabien Danesi, taking place in LA this February at 5 iconic venues over 2 weeks (Feb 11-25), each blending their own programming with his unique vision to ignite dialogue about L.A. as an important cultural hub. Free and open to all, it promises to be a multi-sensory experience, featuring everything from a motorcycle concert at LACE to a series of art installations at FORD, transitioning it into a true gallery space. FLAX’s current Curator-in-Residence Fabien, under the direction of FLAX program director Anna Milone, will showcase works by 19 emerging & established French and American artists and collectives.
- The Dialectic of the Stars launches at The Sowden House on Sunday, February 11 at 6 p.m. with a video proposal by curator Fabien Danesi and showcased artwork by Ange Leccia. His video piece, Star Dusts, acts as a call from the street while Danesi introduces this journey with images extracted from famed movies set in Los Angeles, all showcasing West Coast culture.
- LACE (Los Angeles Contemporary Exhibitions) presents Wrong Ped Xing on February 15 from 7 to 9pm. Artist duo Nøne Futbol Club will showcase an hypnotic video piece seen from Hollywood Boulevard while the public will be welcomed by the online radioYou are listening to Los Angeles. At 7:30pm, Tehran-Geles, a contemplative movie by Arash Nassiri will be screened followed by an enticing performance by Geneva Skeen. At 8:30pm, the evening will culminate in a trailblazing motorcycle concert by Fouad Bouchoucha, in which the artist transforms motorcycles into musical instruments.
- Ford Theatres presents Drag Me Crazy on February 18 from 2-8 p.m. Taking place throughout the day, Ford Theatres transitions into a true gallery space with videos and installations by Scoli Acosta, Hoël Duret, Alison O’Daniel and Assaf Shaham, all playing with illusion and transformation of the spaces. There will also be performances in the amphitheater from 4-6 p.m. by Emily Mast in collaboration with Alan Chan, Rafaela Lopez and Lucky Dragons.
- L.A. Dance Project presents Bodies2 on February 24 at 7 p.m., which will include the screening of The Pit (Dancer with Golden Lips) by Naotaka Hiro followed by a performance by Noé Soulier, Movement on Movement.
- Zebulon presents Surfing Countdown on February 25 from 6-12 p.m. with a sound performance by Jasmin Blasco that evokes a spatial journey, followed by a screening of Animal Glisse by Bertrand Dezoteux. The evening culminates with an afterparty from 7:30-12 p.m. with a DJ Set by Jasmin Blasco.