To celebrate the most important day of the year on the Chinese calendar, and the beginning of the Year of the Pig,will be hosting a Lunar New Year celebration in conjunction with Sunday, February 17, from 2-5pm. The afternoon will kick off with an unveiling of the handmade pig statue in honor of the zodiac symbol, which will be followed by an authentic Kung Fu demonstration, a magic show, acrobatics performances, traditional lion and dragon dances, and themed craft-making stations.
KEY ACTIVITIES / PHOTO
· Year of the Pig statue handmade by the Farmers Market Facilities craftsmen will be unveiled and on display permanently.
· Councilman Ryu, District 4, will lead the pig statue unveiling at 2pm on the Plaza stage.
· Live musical performances with traditional Chinese instruments, guzheng, pipa and flute, will bring the Lunar New Year Celebrations to life.
· Learn how to make dumplings at the 3pm food demo. Limited dumpling samples from Market Chinese restaurants, China Depot and Peking Kitchen will be available after the demo.
· Color and movement take the stage with a Kung Fu demonstration, as well as traditional acrobatics like foot juggling and hand balancing. Meanwhile let your imagination run wild with the Dragon Dance, K-Pop Dance Group, Korean Fan Dance, and Lion Dance.
· Magician Joseph Tran will delight and entertain with his lively magic show.
· Everyone is invited to join the crafty fun in the plaza with a Chinese calligraphy demo and craft, the art of fan making craft, and the pig lantern making craft with Art 2 Go.
2:00 PM: Pig Statue Unveiling with City Councilman, District 4, David Ryu
2:30 – 2:45 PM: Traditional Instrument Performance (Guzheng, Pipa, & Flute)
3:00 – 3:30 PM: Dumpling Making Demo
4:00 – 4:30 PM: Joseph Tran Magic Show
Plaza and Gilmore Lane
2:00 – 5:00 PM: Chinese Calligraphy Demo and Craft, Art of Fan-Making Craft, Pig Lantern Making Craft, Face Painting, Balloon Twisting and more
2:00 – 2:15 PM: Dragon Dance
2:15 – 2:30 PM: K-Pop Dance Group
2:30 – 3:00PM: Kung Fu Demonstration
3:00 – 3:05 PM: Traditional Acrobatics – Foot Juggling
3:05 – 3:10 PM: Traditional Acrobatics – Hand Balancing
3:25 – 3:45 PM: Korean Fan Dance
4:45 – 5:00 PM: Lion Dance
*schedule subject to change
INFORMATION: Open to the public
WHERE: The Original Farmers Market
6333 W 3rd St.
Los Angeles, CA 90036
189 The Grove Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90036